In a field on the outskirts of Cranborne village, there is a hill, and it has a door….
One of Dorset’s best kept secrets, the Earthouse is a 200-seat theatre – lit by lamplight and fire-light. Here audiences sit on wooden benches, under an earth roof, held up by 21 huge oak tree trunks… they come to listen to stories. The Ancient Technology Centre works with the Crick Crack Club to bring some of the finest contemporary performance storytellers to this fabulous off-beat venue – turning it into a cinema of the imagination.
‘I was spellbound – I don’t use the word lightly’ THE TIMES
‘the art of storytelling is in the surest, safest hands here’ REMOTE GOAT
13 JULY 12noon – 10.45pm BOOK NOW
GREEK MYTHS FOR GROWN-UPS! PROGRAMME & FULL DETAILS
with: Alice Oswald, Hugh Lupton, Ben Haggarty, Daniel Morden, Dr Helen King, Acrojou, & the Trans-Siberian March Band
Get into Greek myths, Crick Crack Club Style!
Encounter epics by firelight, the musings of shipwrecked warriors, wild ideas, gravity-defying Satyrs and an explosion of Balkan brass, as we enter a world where humans are the playthings of the gods.
Midas with his golden touch, Artemis the wild huntress, Orpheus in the Underworld, Atalanta raised by a bear, Odysseus trying to get home. This is a one-day extravaganza of stories, jesters, words, music & a stunning venue in beautiful countryside.
Whether you know nothing, or lots, about Greek mythology, or have only ever encountered them in their censored childhood guise, this will be a feast for your imagination!
Come and do it like they do on Mount Olympus…
‘Bloody brilliant!’ TIME OUT
TICKETS: Whole Event Ticket:£25 Individual show tickets:£6-£10 (booking fees apply) Suitable for adults BOX OFFICE: BOOK ON-LINE LOCATION: The Ancient Technology Centre, Damerham Road, Cranborne, Dorset, BH21 5RP
14 SEP 8pm (70mins – no interval)
BEOWULF! BOOK BY PHONE: 01202 888 992
performance storytelling by JESPER LA COUR AND TROELS KIRK EJSING – The Telling Theatre
Imagine how you would feel if you where the King of Denmark in the 7th century with gold, glory and a big reputation…. but your only problem was a 500 pound ugly and fetid troll, named Grendel, killing your men at random.
Maybe you would call it a true nightmare, but 1300 years later, storytellers call it the magnificent beginning of a great story. Danish storytellers, Jesper la Cour and Troels Kirk Ejsing, bring their physical, vital and comedic version of Beowulf to the Earthouse. Sitting face to face across the Viking ship, the distance between the action and the audience is minimal.
This is a prize performance of an ancient story that’s not to be missed.
‘it’s grim, it’s exciting, it’s exceedingly funny, and it keeps its audience tuned in the whole way through.’ NOW TORONTO
TICKETS: £11 adult / £6 child(14+) booking fees apply) BOX OFFICE: 01202 888 992 (office hours) LOCATION: The Ancient Technology Centre, Damerham Road, Cranborne, Dorset, BH21 5RP Wrap up warm; bring a torch, a cushion & wear sensible shoes...
MELUSINE BOOK NOW
performance storytelling by TUUP, with music by Transglobal Underground’s Hamid ManTu and Tim Whelan
Enter a world of supernatural beasts, power, jealousy & transformation.
It is said that the Norman kings of England claimed to be descended in-part from demons, from angels, and from a fishtailed creature named Melusine: a creator of peace and of conflict, a builder of cities, a vengeful daughter and a wronged wife – a legendary figure who the kings would credit for their achievements and blame for their viciousness.
World renowned storyteller TUUP, joins forces with regular collaborators from the band Transglobal Underground, Hamid ManTu and Tim Whelan, to bring these wild medieval legends into focus for a new world.
Combining story, music, unpredictable instrumentation & contemporary technology, journey with them through a landscape that is as much science-fiction as it is fairytale.
TICKETS: £11 adult, £6 child (14+) (booking fees apply) BOX OFFICE: BOOK ON-LINE or call 01202 888 992 LOCATION: The Ancient Technology Centre, Damerham Road, Cranborne, Dorset, BH21 5RP Wrap up warm; bring a torch, a cushion & wear sensible shoes...
THE DAY OF THE DEAD FAMILY SHOW BOOK NOW
performance storytelling with Clare Murphy, TUUP & Ben Haggarty
Under the watchful eye of a bunch of gambling skeletons – dead ancestors are honoured; the souls of the dead are tempted back into the world of the living for a bit of a party, and Death is mocked, cheated and saluted by turn. This is the wonderful family friendly version of the Crick Crack Club’s annual autumn celebration, inspired by the Mexican festival of the Dias de Los Muertos.
Join three Crick Crack storytellers to acknowledge death and celebrate life in joyful fashion, complete with shrines, ritual and magical stories.
‘a joyous chance to revel in life and death’ ****EVERYTHING THEATRE
TICKETS: £8 adult £3 child (suitable for children 6+) (booking fees apply) BOX OFFICE: BOOK ON-LINE or call 01202 888 992 LOCATION: The Ancient Technology Centre, Damerham Road, Cranborne, Dorset, BH21 5RP Wrap up warm; bring a torch, a cushion & wear sensible shoes...
THE DAY OF THE DEAD BOOK NOW
performance storytelling by Clare Murphy, TUUP & Tim Ralphs
In this exuberant night of ritual and story and under the watchful eye of a bunch of gambling skeletons – dead ancestors are honoured; the souls of the dead are tempted back into the world of the living for a bit of a party, and Death is mocked, cheated and saluted by turn.
Like some irrepressible autumn ritual, the Crick Crack Club’s annual celebration inspired by the Mexican festival of the Dias de Los Muertos, has become part of the fabric of our company’s cultural craziness!
Join three Crick Crack storytellers for shrines, libations, stories, and magical mayhem…
‘a joyous chance to revel in life and death’ ****EVERYTHING THEATRE
TICKETS: £11 adult (booking fees apply) BOX OFFICE: BOOK ON-LINE or call 01202 888 992 LOCATION: The Ancient Technology Centre, Damerham Road, Cranborne, Dorset, BH21 5RP Wrap up warm; bring a torch, a cushion & wear sensible shoes...
GOOD THINGS TO KNOW
- Wrap up warm, bring a cushion & wear sensible shoes! A torch might also come in handy!
- There is no bar on site, and we don’t have a license to sell you alcohol – but we’ll supply something nice instead.
- We open the site at 6pm and the doors of the Earthouse at 7pm. In summer, please feel free to come from 6pm and sit in the sun – you can even bring a picnic (just don’t munch food while the show is on).
- If the show is listed as ‘sold out’ then it really is sold out.
- We have toilets!
- Wheelchair users can drive up to the venue, but please let us know in advance if you’ll need to do this. You can call the ATC on 01725 517 618.
- Shows are suitable for adults. Please refer to child age guidelines on each show. Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- We sometimes have (official) photographers discreetly taking pictures at these events – if you don’t want to be in these pictures, then please let a member of staff know.
- The ATC is a no smoking site.
- No dogs are allowed on site – we have some ancient breeds of sheep who live here, and they wouldn’t appreciate the company!
- The Ancient Technology Centre is located behind Cranborne Middle School. Turn off Damerham Road into Cranborne Middle School. Parking is in the school car-park. Walk up the road from the car-park to the Ancient Technology Centre, and follow the lane and then the twinkly lights and the candle lanterns (and all the other people!) to the doors of the Earthouse.
- The 2019 storytelling event dates at the Earthouse are: 6 APR, 11 MAY, 13 JUL, 14 SEP, 12 OCT, 2 NOV
- General ticket queries & waiting lists: The Crick Crack Club 07791 157 437 or email@example.com
- Queries about tickets already booked by phone: East Dorset Heritage Trust 01202 888 992
- Queries about tickets already booked on-line: www.ticketsource.co.uk