In a field on the outskirts of Cranborne village, there is a hill, and it has a door….
One of Dorset’s best kept secrets, the Earthouse is a 200-seat theatre – lit by lamplight and fire-light. Here audiences sit on wooden benches, under an earth roof, held up by 21 huge oak tree trunks… they come to listen to stories. The Ancient Technology Centre works with the Crick Crack Club to bring some of the finest contemporary performance storytellers to this fabulous off-beat venue – turning it into a cinema of the imagination.
‘I was spellbound – I don’t use the word lightly’ THE TIMES
‘the art of storytelling is in the surest, safest hands here’ REMOTE GOAT
THE LIFE AND LOVES OF FIONN MACCUMHAILL – Tales of an Irish Superhero TICKETS BY PHONE ONLY: 01202 888 992
performance storytelling by BEN HAGGARTY
It is said that if ever a day should pass without the name of Fionn and the Fianna being uttered, then the whole world will sink under the waves…
A flawed hero
A child raised by a deer
And a thumb itching with knowledge…
The epic adventures of the impulsive Irish hunter warrior, Fionn MacCumhaill, and his companions is one of the most entertaining hero cycles in the world. With the birth of a leader descended from the gods, the warrior men and women duty bound to defend Ireland from raiders of the north find themselves instead embroiled in a complex struggle with myriad invaders from a decidedly mysterious ‘Other world.
Magical, comedic, tragic, strange and utterly unpredictable – Ben Haggarty, one of the UK’s best-loved storytellers, takes us on a wild encounter, in three parts over three hours! This is an epic that deserves to be epic! (complete with spiced apple juice, brandy & cake!)
‘ the art of storytelling is in the surest, safest hands here’ REMOTE GOAT
TICKETS: £11 adult, £6 child (14+)(booking fees apply) BOX OFFICE: call 01202 888 992 (office hours) LOCATION: The Ancient Technology Centre, Damerham Road, Cranborne, Dorset, BH21 5RP Wrap up warm; bring a torch, a cushion & wear sensible shoes... SHOW IN THREE PARTS. 7pm - 10.45pm approx
THE BIG BLIND – A FAIRYTALE FOR GROWN-UPS BOOK NOW
performance storytelling by DOMINIC KELLY, music by Bridget Marsden & Leif Ottosson
A boy stands on a lakeshore. Behind him is all he’s ever known. Ahead is a chance for love but a much higher chance of death. He’s had a happy life and a sheltered one. But his father has gambled away everything and the debt cannot be paid in money…
Dominic Kelly, Bridget Marsden & Leif Ottosson, weave together versions of an ancient fairytale from Norway, Scotland, Ireland and India into a playful and gripping musical performance, and ask what the consequences are for the young when older generations fail to make adult decisions.
‘A bewitching fusion of storytelling and music that takes theatre right back to its origins’ A YOUNGER THEATRE
TICKETS: £11 adult, £6 child (12+)(booking fees apply) BOX OFFICE: BOOK ON-LINE or call 01202 888 992 LOCATION: The Ancient Technology Centre, Damerham Road, Cranborne, Dorset, BH21 5RP Wrap up warm; bring a torch, a cushion & wear sensible shoes...
13 JULY (afternoon & evening event)
THE GREAT BIG GREEK DAY ON SALE SOON
BEOWULF! BOOK NOW
performance storytelling by JESPER LA COUR AND TROELS KIRK EJSING – The Telling Theatre
Imagine how you would feel if you where the King of Denmark in the 7th century with gold, glory and a big reputation…. but your only problem was a 500 pound ugly and fetid troll, named Grendel, killing your men at random.
Maybe you would call it a true nightmare, but 1300 years later, storytellers call it the magnificent beginning of a great story. Danish storytellers, Jesper la Cour and Troels Kirk Ejsing, bring their physical, vital and comedic version of Beowulf to the Earthouse. Sitting face to face across the Viking ship, the distance between the action and the audience is minimal.
This is a prize performance of an ancient story that’s not to be missed.
‘it’s grim, it’s exciting, it’s exceedingly funny, and it keeps its audience tuned in the whole way through.’ NOW TORONTO
TICKETS: £11 adult(booking fees apply) BOX OFFICE: BOOK ON-LINE or call 01202 888 992 LOCATION: The Ancient Technology Centre, Damerham Road, Cranborne, Dorset, BH21 5RP Wrap up warm; bring a torch, a cushion & wear sensible shoes...
MELUSINE BOOK NOW
performance storytelling by TUUP, with music by Transglobal Underground’s Hamid ManTu and Tim Whelan
Enter a world of supernatural beasts, power, jealousy & transformation.
It is said that the Norman kings of England claimed to be descended in-part from demons, from angels, and from a fishtailed creature named Melusine: a creator of peace and of conflict, a builder of cities, a vengeful daughter and a wronged wife – a legendary figure who the kings would credit for their achievements and blame for their viciousness.
World renowned storyteller TUUP, joins forces with regular collaborators from the band Transglobal Underground, Hamid ManTu and Tim Whelan, to bring these wild medieval legends into focus for a new world.
Combining story, music, unpredictable instrumentation & contemporary technology, journey with them through a landscape that is as much science-fiction as it is fairytale.
TICKETS: £11 adult, £6 child (14+) (booking fees apply) BOX OFFICE: BOOK ON-LINE or call 01202 888 992 LOCATION: The Ancient Technology Centre, Damerham Road, Cranborne, Dorset, BH21 5RP Wrap up warm; bring a torch, a cushion & wear sensible shoes...
2 NOV (afternoon show – time TBC)
THE DAY OF THE DEAD – family show ON SALE SOON
THE DAY OF THE DEAD BOOK NOW
performance storytelling by Clare Murphy, TUUP & Tim Ralphs
In this exuberant night of ritual and story and under the watchful eye of a bunch of gambling skeletons – dead ancestors are honoured; the souls of the dead are tempted back into the world of the living for a bit of a party, and Death is mocked, cheated and saluted by turn.
Like some irrepressible autumn ritual, the Crick Crack Club’s annual celebration inspired by the Mexican festival of the Dias de Los Muertos, has become part of the fabric of our company’s cultural craziness!
Join three Crick Crack storytellers for shrines, libations, stories, and magical mayhem…
‘a joyous chance to revel in life and death’ ****EVERYTHING THEATRE
TICKETS: £11 adult (booking fees apply) BOX OFFICE: BOOK ON-LINE or call 01202 888 992 LOCATION: The Ancient Technology Centre, Damerham Road, Cranborne, Dorset, BH21 5RP Wrap up warm; bring a torch, a cushion & wear sensible shoes...
GOOD THINGS TO KNOW
- Wrap up warm, bring a cushion & wear sensible shoes! A torch might also come in handy!
- There is no bar on site, and we don’t have a license to sell you alcohol – but we’ll supply something nice instead.
- We open the site at 6pm and the doors of the Earthouse at 7pm. In summer, please feel free to come from 6pm and sit in the sun – you can even bring a picnic (just don’t munch food while the show is on).
- If the show is listed as ‘sold out’ then it really is sold out.
- We have toilets!
- Wheelchair users can drive up to the venue, but please let us know in advance if you’ll need to do this. You can call the ATC on 01725 517 618.
- Shows are suitable for adults. Please refer to child age guidelines on each show. Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- We sometimes have (official) photographers discreetly taking pictures at these events – if you don’t want to be in these pictures, then please let a member of staff know.
- The ATC is a no smoking site.
- No dogs are allowed on site – we have some ancient breeds of sheep who live here, and they wouldn’t appreciate the company!
- The Ancient Technology Centre is located behind Cranborne Middle School. Turn off Damerham Road into Cranborne Middle School. Parking is in the school car-park. Walk up the road from the car-park to the Ancient Technology Centre, and follow the lane and then the twinkly lights and the candle lanterns (and all the other people!) to the doors of the Earthouse.
- The 2019 storytelling event dates at the Earthouse are: 6 APR, 11 MAY, 13 JUL, 14 SEP, 12 OCT, 2 NOV
- General ticket queries & waiting lists: The Crick Crack Club 07791 157 437 or email@example.com
- Queries about tickets already booked by phone: East Dorset Heritage Trust 01202 888 992
- Queries about tickets already booked on-line: www.ticketsource.co.uk