In a field on the outskirts of Cranborne village, there is a hill, and it has a door….
One of Dorset’s best kept secrets, the Earthouse is a 200-seat theatre – lit by lamplight and fire-light. Here audiences sit on wooden benches, under an earth roof, held up by 21 huge oak tree trunks… they come to listen to stories. The Ancient Technology Centre works with the Crick Crack Club to bring some of the finest contemporary performance storytellers to this fabulous off-beat venue – turning it into a cinema of the imagination.
Dates for your diary are: 6 APR, 11 MAY, 13 JUL, 14 SEP, 12 OCT, 2 NOV (they’ll all go on sale in early 2019)
‘I was spellbound – I don’t use the word lightly’ THE TIMES
‘the art of storytelling is in the surest, safest hands here’ REMOTE GOAT
GOOD THINGS TO KNOW
- Wrap up warm, bring a cushion & wear sensible shoes! A torch might also come in handy!
- There is no bar on site, and we don’t have a license to sell you alcohol – but we’ll supply something nice instead.
- We open the site at 6pm and the doors of the Earthouse at 7pm. In summer, please feel free to come from 6pm and sit in the sun – you can even bring a picnic (just don’t munch food while the show is on).
- If the show is listed as ‘sold out’ then it really is sold out.
- We have toilets!
- Wheelchair users can drive up to the venue, but please let us know in advance if you’ll need to do this. You can call the ATC on 01725 517 618.
- Shows are suitable for adults. Please refer to child age guidelines on each show. Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- We sometimes have (official) photographers discreetly taking pictures at these events – if you don’t want to be in these pictures, then please let a member of staff know.
- The ATC is a no smoking site.
- No dogs are allowed on site – we have some ancient breeds of sheep who live here, and they wouldn’t appreciate the company!
- The Ancient Technology Centre is located behind Cranborne Middle School. Turn off Damerham Road into Cranborne Middle School. Parking is in the school car-park. Walk up the road from the car-park to the Ancient Technology Centre, and follow the lane and then the twinkly lights and the candle lanterns (and all the other people!) to the doors of the Earthouse.
- The 2019 storytelling event dates at the Earthouse are: 6 APR, 11 MAY, 13 JUL, 14 SEP, 12 OCT, 2 NOV